11 January 2013

The First Flowers

Almost five years ago, when I first started blogging, a friend ran a series on her blog called "Wildflowers in Winter."  Near the end, if I recall, she hosted a hunt to see which of her readers could find the first wildflower blooming in spring.

She invited me along on her hunt, and a cloudy spring day found my friend, her two children, and me in the middle of a brown field between the highway and a hotel, searching for spots of purple.

And find them we did.  I even drew one, with my limited skills.

So today, when I saw the first tiny flowers poking out of the grass, I remembered my friend with fond delight.

1 comment:

  1. Yippee! You found it, a little bit of sky blue promise. Our good God cares for His children like the lilies of the field, even in January. I think you win the prize for the first wildflower of the year.

    I am taking my watercolors and sketch book out with me today in search of flowers this January too, but it doesn't feel like winter.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.