10 April 2014

Huisache, Acacia farnesiana


Recently when some young ladies complimented me on my outfit, saying, "You look springy," I wondered how in the world they knew what spring looks like--really looks like.  

Here in south Texas, there are green things all "winter" long, there are flowers blooming, and sometimes you even walk around your neighborhood in the evening darkness looking at Christmas lights without wearing a coat.

In a world like that, how can they know what spring means?  The kind that bursts forth in full bloom after months of gray, the kind of green that replaces the brown, the kind that brings out yellow flowers first, as if knowing you need something the color of the sun after the weeks and weeks of long nights and short days?


Over the last few weeks, though, I've been delighted to see some distinctly south Texan signs of spring.  Many of the trees do bring out a new coat of leaves to celebrate the season, and the neighborhoods are full of flowering trees I've never seen before.  And wonder of wonders, while we have had no tulips or daffodils, there are Whole Outdoor Flowerbeds full of Amaryllises, which I've only ever seen grown indoors, one at a time.

It did not once occur to me that there would be a place in the world where such things were possible.

These yellow-blooming trees were among my new delights a few weeks ago.  Their soft, puff-ball blossoms smelled sweet, cascading down the full height of their tall trees along the city's exercise trail.  

I didn't know what they were until a friend told my husband about a yellow blooming tree named Huisache, whose flowered branches his grandmother brought into his bedroom in bouquets when he had colds, to help him heal faster.  I'm quite sure he was talking about the trees beside the walking trail.

And isn't it just like our heavenly Father, to tuck health and healing into the scents of blooming and beautiful branches of trees, abundantly available for our use and enjoyment?

Of course, I don't know if there has been a scientific study to show the health benefits of the Huisache scent, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to find out that their blossoms, especially combined with fresh air and good ventilation, really would help cleanse a room and the people in it.

7 comments:

  1. LOVELY!! As usual. These yellow flowers are positively gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been here to photograph them with me!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what variety of acacia we have in our yard... It looks similar, but I've never noticed a fragrance. That may be because ours has never bloomed as prolifically as the lovely specimen in your photographs!

    My father always likes to remind us that acacia is believed to be the "gopher wood" out of which the ark of the covenant was built.

    (Inspired by your reflections on spring in your last email, I published a related blog post today. You seem to have put me on the same tack. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have the same thought about the ark of the covenant! For some reason, it seems especially lovely to think of the ark being made out of a flowering tree.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of acacia trees before, but I've never seen even a photo of them before. I didn't know their blossoms were so interesting. I think this definitely qualifies as a burst of spring. I hope I get to smell them someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right where you could fine one to smell, and if you came for a visit at just the right time of year.... Well, we'd have a grand time!

      Delete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.