17 June 2013

How to Prune Basil


I didn't use basil much until my wonderful husband entered my life.  Then I learned what delicious stuff fresh pesto is.  

And then the price of pine 
nuts, central to his recipe (if you call estimated dumping a recipe), sky rocketed.  

But happy was the day when dear friends taught us a new recipe, using nutritional yeast instead of pine nuts.  Fresh pesto was back!

We decided to grow as much basil as we could.  However, the basil grew tall and spindly, not bushy with lots of leaves to make pesto like we desired.  

We needed to learn something, but we didn't know what.

Enter Pinterest.

And this lady, who taught me how to prune basil via her blog which of course I found via Pinterst.  
http://mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com/2008/07/basil-pruning-tutorial-really.html?m=1

We tried our first pruning experiment on the mother-in-law basil this evening, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out.  It seems promising, and I will do my best to let you know how it goes.  You'll let me know how it goes for you if you try it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.