23 August 2013

1 Corinthians 13: The True Profit Formula

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."  1 Corinthians 13:3

Because I can't expect the world to revolve around me, to owe me everything and to pay me back for every little thing I contribute, I become a miser with my gifts.  I stop giving.  And everything I do end up giving comes with strings attached, begrudgingly.  Which takes away the blessing from the receiver, to think I'm only giving to get something back from them.  No matter how large the gift.


But if I give freely, like Jesus gave for me?  I may not see any immediate results.  I may even lay down my life in service to others--to Him--and not realize any benefit.  I may think my efforts have been wasted, forgetting there's One who sees what the right hand and what the left hand are doing, who sees in secret, who rewards openly for genuine service to the King of kings.
 

I may not see, in this life, how anyone was blessed through my life.  Yet if I live it with the unselfish love that comes as a fruit of the Holy Spirit, there will indeed be a mansion someday for me.  With Him, motive matters--not outward show, not even miracles done in His Name without this delicious fruit of love--and He will not pass by the heart of a humble servant, who only did her duty and truly lived like her Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.