19 June 2014

Biblical Self Sacrifice


"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."  Romans 12:1

Paul entreats me today, not because he's Paul and he knows what he's talking about.  No, he's much too humble for that, though indeed if anyone had anything to brag about in the Christian life, it would be him.

Rather, he wants me to pay close attention to his next words because of God's own deep mercy.

The same mercy that provided clothes for Adam and Eve, the same mercy that rescued David from his darkest sins, the same mercy that heard Daniel's prayer and returned the Israelites to their homeland, the same mercy that carried a cruel cross up a hill only to be killed upon it.


The thought of this mercy is what Paul says should make me want to live my life in sacrifice for God's cause--not sacrifice for the sake of it, or the kind of life poured out empty of all joy and meaning, but a life of holy service that puts God's interests above mine.

Every moment, every day.

It's a short verse, this introduction to Romans 12, but it gives me cause to stop long, and linger over words bringing conviction to my heart.

For what would it look like, my life all changed over so much that every goal large or small had its root in doing something to honor my Lord who had such mercy on me?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful thought to bring in the Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.