06 February 2013

Trusting?

Yesterday, I read the incredible story of Lazarus's sickness, his death, Jesus' delay, Martha's faith, Lazarus's resurrection.

Today, I began reading just where I left off, about the way many people saw the miracle and believed in Jesus.

"But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done." John 11:46

Did they need official approval before they could trust the evidence before their eyes?  Had they so long lived with others telling them how to believe, think, feel, and trust that they had surrendered their consciences to another human being?  Where did they really put their trust?  God?  National and religious leaders?

Where do I put my trust?

"Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we?  For this man doeth many miracles.  If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.". John 11:47, 48

They really were in a sticky situation.  Not because Jesus was showing Himself to be more powerful than they were.  Not because of the Romans having political rule.  Not because of a stressful committee meeting with an important decision to make.

They were in a bind because although they professed to be people of God and were in fact the leaders of the true religion, they didn't trust in God for their place and nation.  Not at that moment, anyway.  Instead, they took things into their own hands.

It seems to me a peculiar lack of faith that they didn't trust in the God they professed to serve to take care of little details like the Romans.

Had they forgotten Jericho, or was Babylon too fresh in their memories?  Were they worried that sin--theirs or others'--would keep God from helping them?

I suppose a focus on self-preservation can do that to a person.

There's also the more sinister possibility that they knew exactly who Jesus was, but were too proud to admit it after so many denials.

Now, I'm not saying any of this to bash a people group or nation.  I simply want to learn, if I can, from some individuals and their experience in the past.

I hope I don't give way to my stresses and fears (though smaller than theirs) even though I believe God can take care of them.  Not just can.  Will.

I hope my influence encourages others to go straight to Jesus for themselves, where they can find relief for their souls without depending on any human agency.

I hope I'm willing to act on what I believe without fear.

All by grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.