03 April 2008

Reflections on Mercy and Anger


"So the people of Ninevah believed God, proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest to the least of them...Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

"But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he became angry...

"Then the LORD said, 'Have you any right to be angry?' "

But Jonah left the city, not answering a word. He knew the answer. Fresh from the belly of a big fish, he had no more right to God's mercy than the people of Nineveh. Yet while receiving it himself, he persisted in putting himself above the others, in wanting them to die.

Is that what I did when I wanted to scream at my friend yesterday?
Yes.
I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.