29 May 2014

Texas Spotted Whiptail


I'd like you to meet one of my new South Texas friends, who I'm quite sure is called a Texas Spotted Whiptail.  This little guy and his buddies scurry around my garden every morning when I go out to visit the plants (i.e., water them, pollinate them, and pull the weeds around them).  While everyone else dives for the shade in the afternoon sun, these fellows stay out soaking it all in.

He's quick on his feet, but sometimes when I startle him (I'm much taller than he is, after all), he slides a little as he scurries across the sidewalk seeking shelter underneath the next blooming bush.

These delightful garden companions don't always get along with each other, though.  Once, two of them were so intent on chasing each other that they didn't even have time to notice me.  When they ran into my flip flop, it was my turn to be startled!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a very interesting new friend. I'm glad you are finding lizards in your garden and not those strange south Texas snakes I've heard about.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.