27 October 2013

Trust in God (A Habit for Day 27)


 Today, simply a Psalm.  One that has meant more to me than words can express, strengthened my trust in God more times than I can count.

"Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from Him cometh my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.

"How long will ye imagine mischief against a man?
Ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.
They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies:
they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly.

"My soul, wait thou only upon God;
for my expectation* (see below) is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved.

"In God is my salvation and my glory:
the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him:
God is a refuge for us.

"Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie:
to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery:
if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

"God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this;
that power belongeth unto God.
Also unto Thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy:
for Thou renderest to every man according to his work."

Psalm 62 (KJV)

Yes...pour out your hearts to the Lord.  Trust in the Rock, the firm foundation, rather than in wealth or power over other human beings or any other weapon of human devising.  Let God fight the battles, and move forward, always trusting.  He will not break, He will not fall, and neither will we when we stand on Him.

*As recently as the 19th century, an expectation meant much more than a mere hunch that something would happen.  Rather, it was an inheritance that could sustain and support a person throughout life.  Thus this passage meant much more to me after studying that aspect of estates and wills in 19th century England, for indeed God is the expectation that sustains and supports us throughout life.

(Click button for series index.)
Grab button for LADDER OF MERCY (Photo by Barbara Frohne

1 comment:

  1. Great thought about "expectation". It reminds me of how differently it is possible to use the word "hope". There is "Well, I hope so..." and then there is "We have this hope that BURNS within our hearts"!!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.