09 October 2013

Sing, O Barren One (A Habit for Day 9)


I'm guessing you've experienced those tough places in life where everything feels bleak.  You're maybe wondering why I've titled this post in the imperative, telling you to sing.  You who feel empty.
If that's how you're feeling, I dare you to go read Isaiah chapter 54.
 Because I'm not really the one telling you to sing, no matter what your life looks like right now.  Jesus is.  You can't read even a small part of this chapter tucked into Isaiah without pausing in awe at the things God has in store for His people.  The ones who seem abandoned, hopeless, alone.  He's talking especially to you.

He's asking you to claim what you know He has promised, and with the eye of faith make room in your life for the blessings He has to pour out on you.  The first place to make room is in your mouth, your lungs, your mind.  So take that deep breath, and sing something.

Not just anything.  We're talking about praise to our Jesus here.  Songs and hymns of faith.

They may be as simple as a song I remember from playing piano for the littlest children's Sabbath school:

"My Lord knows the way through the wilderness.  All I have to do is follow!  Strength for today is mine all the way, and all I need for tomorrow.  My Lord knows the way through the wilderness.  All I have to do is follow!"

There are days I sing that simple chorus over and over and over, clinging to its promise by a thin faith.  Yet I've noticed whenever I make the first attempt to sing praise to my Lord--or any song that reaches out to Him in faith, whether it be one of supplication or of gratitude--a door in my heart opens toward heaven.  My whole body gets involved in making sounds of faith, and before long, the darkest clouds vanish and I am ready to get up and walk the narrow path of faith again.

It's a habit we all need, whether we think we're good at singing or not.

(Click button for series index.)
Grab button for LADDER OF MERCY (Photo by Barbara Frohne

2 comments:

  1. I am one that does not think I sing very good, but you are absolutely right - we need to sing praises! Thanks for the reminder! Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.