21 January 2008

Jacob's Ladder

One of the best things about playing hymns at church every week is that sometimes new skills emerge. I always wanted to be able to sing while I played, but could not manage the multi-task talent until just recently.

At evening after a small journey, I sat alone at the piano, singing and playing many of my favorites. I came upon a new one, whose melody (known as Jacob's Ladder, but not the commonly sung one) and bass line beautifully illustrated its text. I could relate to Jacob's weariness, both physically and spiritually, and joined his refreshment when the song reminded me how close our Savior is in each of our moments.

As Jacob with travel was weary one day,
At night on a stone for a pillow he lay;
He saw in a vision a ladder so high
That its foot was on earth and its top in the sky.

Chorus
Alleluia to Jesus who died on the tree,
And has raised up a ladder of mercy for me,
And has raised up a ladder of mercy for me.

Come let us ascend! all may climb it who will;
For the angels of Jacob are guarding it still:
And remember each step that by faith we pass o'er
Some prophet or martyr has trod it before.

Chorus

And when we arrive at the haven of rest
We shall hear the glad words, "Come up hither, ye blest,
Here are regions of light here are mansions of bliss."
O who would not climb such a ladder as this?

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.