16 September 2008

My Shepherd, part 2

Another hymn I've committed to memory is a slightly different setting of the same Psalm. I should say the words, coming from the Scottish Psalter in 1650, are slightly different. The tune on the other hand, Brother James' Air, is rather sprightly while the tune from the part 1 entry is soft and sweet. Both are supremely delightful. I hope you enjoy, as I do, the subtle differences in the verse, bringing the focus to different words and phrases.

The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want. He makes me down to lie,
In pastures green, He leadeth me, the quiet waters by--
He leadeth me, He leadeth me, the quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again, and me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness e'en for His own Name's sake--
Within the paths of righteousness, e'en for His own Name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale, yet will I fear no ill,
For Thou art with me, and Thy rod and staff me comfort still--
For Thou art with me, and Thy rod and staff me comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnished in presence of my foes;
My head Thou dost with oil annoint, and my cup overflows--
My head Thou dost with oil annoint, and my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life shall surely follow me,
And in God's house forevermore my dwelling place shall be--
And in God's house forevermore my dwelling place shall be.

2 comments:

  1. I love this hymn; thank you for introducing me. "Brother James' Air" is indeed hauntingly lovely, as most Scottish music is, I find.

    I made an internet search and was able to listen to a boy's choir singing "The Lord's My Shepherd" to that tune. ("Pisgah" is another pleasant choice.) It was heavenly! I don't know that I can do half so well, but I don't think it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you were able to listen to it! Such a versatile tune--beautiful at a slow, lilting tempo as well as a sprightly, dancing one.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings, fellow climbers! Leave your marks on the steps--I'll be delighted to hear from you.